Congratulations, you've taken the leap and started your own business. Aside from the fancy title of "entrepreneur" you are now also the Chief Financial Officer, Director of I.T., Head of Sales, oh.. and then there's that marketing thing.
It's common for sales and marketing to get lumped together, and typical for marketing to get dropped down on the list of "things to-do" but it's important to remember that marketing and sales are two different things.
"If marketing is like aiming a gun, sales are like pulling the trigger. And it is very important to know where you’re aiming at before you shoot." (author unknown)
Here are a few tips to on how to develop a marketing strategy:
- Know Your Customer and Put them First:
- Who is most likely to be interested in your product or service? "The best marketing plans will fail unless you know who your customer is and understand their wants and needs."
- Analyze Your Business:
- what makes your business (or product) special or different?
- who is your competitor, where are they strong or weak?
- ind out what's "broken" in your industry and become the solution
- Have a Plan and Stick To It! - "Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work." - Peter F. Drucker.
- Once you've identified your customer and what you like or dislike about your competition, determine how you will reach your customer without going broke in advertising.
- Social media is a great way to advertise, but not every outlet makes sense for every brand. Once you've done your research and truly know your brand personality and customer, it will be easy to determine what outlet makes sense for your product or service.
Not sure how to create an effective marketing plan? Contact Haven Creative. We offer the complete marketing package from concept to execution developing the best "how-to" strategy to build your brand awareness and get your product or service the attention it deserves.